Garcinia Cambogia extract is one of the popular and most sought after weight loss supplements available in the market. In recent past, it was touted as ‘the holy grail of weight loss’ by the fitness experts, which made it a hot topic of discussion on several medical forums. As it has gained a high reputation in the health and fitness world, most of us look Garcinia as a natural fat-burner only. Today, we are here with some interesting facts related to the herbal supplement. Let’s start!
1. Garcinia Cambogia is a tropical fruit that is widely cultivated in southern India, Indonesia, Myanmar and other Asian countries.
2. It was known as Garcinia Cambogia, previously. Now, the tree has as new botanical name-Garcinia gummi-gutta. Some of its other names include- Malabar tamarind, brindle berry, gambooge and kokum butter oil tree.
3. The citrus, fleshy has a multi-lobed appearance and resembles a cross between a pumpkin and a tomato. Also, the colour of the fruit varies from greenish-yellow to pale pink, depending on its ripeness level.
4. Although Garcinia Cambogia extracts recently being sold in the market as weight loss capsules, the fruit holds a folk culinary importance.
5. The raw flesh of the fruit can pucker your lips.
6. The sun-dried and smoked pulp called as kadampuli is used to impart a tangy and smoky flavour to south-Indian recipes, most common being the fish curry.
7. The secret to its weight loss properties lies in the skin of the fruit. Its rind contains a high concentration of hydroxycitric acid that is believed to instigate quick weight loss.
8. As per the US food and agriculture organization, the kernels of the fruit is made up of 30 percent of fats. Therefore, these seeds are occasionally used as a substitute for cooking oils and ghee, a kind of clarified butter that forms a staple ingredient in Indian kitchens.
9. Besides weight loss, the extract is used to treat other health conditions such as diabetes, ulcers, constipation, diarrhoea etc.
10. The prominent claim about the supplement is that it can help you whittle down stubborn pockets of body fat, suppress appetite and boost athletic endurance.